What's In It For Me?
- Enhance your mentoring/coaching knowledge and skills
- Experience interactive learning with LSL professionals who have a passion for mentoring partnerships
- Earn 12 CEU credits with the AG Bell Academy for Listening and Spoken Language (Approval Pending)
How Much Does It Cost?
- There’s no cost to register. Your full commitment to participate and engage in the learning is considered your contribution.
- Course space is limited
MA, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT
Hearing First Coaching and Mentoring Leader
MSP, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT
Hearing First Ambassador
“The Hearing First Mentoring course is filled with opportunities to learn, connect, and engage in key practices for coaching and mentoring aspiring LSL professionals. If you currently mentor professionals in audiology, speech, or deaf education, make this a priority for your professional learning bucket list!”
Do you want to...
- develop personal goals and aspirations for mentoring and coaching?
- identify strengths that align with the characteristics of a successful mentor/coach?
- learn the elements of coaching through video analysis, case studies and discussions?
- share new insights on strengths-based coaching and apply it to your practice?
- practice elements of coaching with other listening and spoken language peers?
If you do, this course can help you meet your professional learning goals, provide the best opportunity to change and successfully implement a mentoring and coaching practice.
About this Learning Experience
In this advanced level experience, you’ll enhance your professional practice and develop strengths-based skills for your mentoring partnerships! You’ll acquire and apply knowledge of adult learning theory, fundamentals of instructing, consulting, evaluating, mentoring, and evocative coaching. You’ll also improve your strategies for listening, expressing empathy, asking open ended questions, brainstorming, and designing experiments. This experience is designed to equip you with the essential knowledge and skills to successfully support professionals seeking LSLS Certification from the AG Bell Academy for Listening and Spoken Language as well as those who seek to improve their practice to reach successful outcomes for children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
You'll experience a “flipped classroom” meaning rather than spending time listening to lectures, you’ll become familiar with the content prior to the group sessions.
You’ll be invited with other learners into a private group space within the Hearing First Professional Learning Community. Within the group, you’ll receive weekly content that introduces topics requiring from 1-2 hours of your time to read, watch videos and participate in group discussion threads.
Then, one evening per week you’ll participate in a live 90-minute online interactive session with course facilitators who’ll guide the group in activities to deepen understanding and application of the mentoring/coaching process.
What technology will I need to participate?
- Digital device such as a laptop or tablet with audio and, ideally, video capabilities for 1-to-1 learning sessions and group experiences
- Internet connection
- Computer/device headset with microphone. We’ll provide more detailed information once you have registered and we also offer technical orientation sessions to insure all learners have the best online experience.
Dates for Live Sessions
This is a 10-week course schedule over a 12-week period. There are several breaks scheduled which are designed to provide space for reflection and practice. The information below provides specific dates for all live online sessions. Participants can earn 12 hours of CEU credit through the AG Bell Academy. All live sessions take place on Tuesdays, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm Eastern Time and will be recorded and archived.
|August 15||Course Orientation Option 1|
|August 17||Course Orientation Option 2|
|August 29||Adobe Session 1: Orientation Meet & Greet|
|September 5||Adobe Session 2|
|September 12||Adobe Session 3|
|September 26||Adobe Session 4|
|October 3||Adobe Session 5|
|October 10||Adobe Session 6|
|October 17||Adobe Session 7|
|October 24||Adobe Session 8|
|November 7||Adobe Session 9|
|November 14||Adobe Session 10|
Frequently Asked Questions
How much time am I committing to participate?
Answer: Each week you’ll receive access to readings, videos and discussion assignments that you can take in at your own pace and on your own schedule. It could take up to 2 hours per week to complete, however, some learners get excited about the discussion threads and spend more time interacting with other learners.
Why is this course only 10-weeks but scheduled over 12 weeks?
Answer: Hearing First launched a pilot version of this course in late 2016. Feedback from the course was highly favorable and the feedback received was that the content was highly valuable but also new information that warranted some think time. We changed the format so that learners could maximize their learning around each of the concepts.